Welcome to Locos Station! Your source for all things related to the two time UFL Champion Las Vegas Locomotives.
Follow Locos Station on Twitter!
Buy your Las Vegas Locos Tickets HERE!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fan Fest Experience

Hey everyone, I went to the Locos Fan Fest this past Sunday and would like to share the experience with all of you.

I showed up at about 3:45 PM after leaving early from work and walked into the stadium. At first I sat down on the bleachers just to take a look at everything that was going on. There was an emcee that was from a local radio station I believe who acted as the announcer throughout the event. He talked about how local radio stations will be covering the Locos all year long, and then introduced a dance number by a group of talented dancers who were there to help promote the future Locos dance team and to help girls of all ages at the Fan Fest with cheer techniques.



After talking with a young man about season ticket pricing and availability, I went down to the field to interact with some players. As I got to the field, there were free team pictures that fans could have that were very nice quality. I gladly took one, and went down the row of seated Locos who were more than happy to sign every fan's team picture. The players were of good morale and character and were very personable and happy to be a Las Vegas Loco. Everyone was willing to take time to talk to the fans, and it didn't feel like they were just forced to be there. It felt like they wanted to be there.

After the autograph session, I looked around and noticed a lot of kids having fun with the activities. Players were running drills with kids, and letting them try on Locos gear to see what it feels like to be a professional football player. The dance squad that had performed earlier were showing girls choreography and giving tips on how to become a better cheerleader.

At this point the announcer came back onto the field and addressed all of the fans and then turned the mic over to a couple league officials who were so optimistic and proud of the future of the UFL. Rick Mueller who acted as the GM for all teams last year talked about the upcoming season and mentioned that head coach Jim Fassel is now the team's GM as well as head coach. Eventually coach Fassel took the mic and addressed the crowd. He was humble, polite, and talked about the league in a very positive way. He mentioned that when they saw that the championship game was going to be played in Las Vegas, that "We WOULD be there." He mentioned that the team will be housed and practicing in Las Vegas and fans would be able to interact with the team more. He seemed excited and anxious to defend the title this season.

Jim Fassel eventually shifted gears and started talking about a young boy named Oscar Rodriguez who is in elementary school and served as a translator for victims in a dangerous bus crash in Arizona not far from where the Locos practiced last year. Oscar showed an incredible amount of bravery and was honored by coach Fassell with his very own Locos Jersey with his name on the back. He is such an awesome kid and someone we can all look up to.

After the coach was done, I figured I'd get going. I wanted coach Fassel to sign my team picture along with the players I had gotten to sign earlier. But he was busy talking to league officials, and I didn't want to bother him. Eventually I just walked up to him and said, "Excuse me coach, but would you be willing to sign this for me?" He smiled and said enthusiastically, "Of course I will!" I said thanks, and told him that I couldn't wait for the upcoming season, and he thanked me for my support, and shook my hand. What a stand-up guy.

This was when I left the Fan Fest and returned home to my family. On the way out I ended up buying a Locos Championship shirt, and left with a big smile on my face. While there wasn't thousands of people at this fan fest, everyone that made it had a great time. I have a feeling that once the local community latches onto the team, that the Locos will be very successful and have a devoted following.

I'll post a scan of the team picture within a few days. Thanks for reading, and help support the Locos!

No comments:

Post a Comment